Turkish Officials Say At Least 30 Killed, 94 Injured In Wedding Bombing

Posted by:

People react after an explosion in Gaziantep, southeastern Turkey. Gaziantep province Gov. Ali Yerlikaya said the deadly blast, during a wedding near the border with Syria, was a terror attack.i

People react after an explosion in Gaziantep, southeastern Turkey. Gaziantep province Gov. Ali Yerlikaya said the deadly blast, during a wedding near the border with Syria, was a terror attack.

Eyyup Burun/AP


hide caption

toggle caption

Eyyup Burun/AP

People react after an explosion in Gaziantep, southeastern Turkey. Gaziantep province Gov. Ali Yerlikaya said the deadly blast, during a wedding near the border with Syria, was a terror attack.

People react after an explosion in Gaziantep, southeastern Turkey. Gaziantep province Gov. Ali Yerlikaya said the deadly blast, during a wedding near the border with Syria, was a terror attack.

Eyyup Burun/AP

A blast tore through a wedding ceremony in the southeastern Turkish city of Gaziantep on Saturday, according to local officials. The Gaziantep province governor’s office said that at least 30 people were killed and at least 94 more were injured.

Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Mehmet Simsek says the attack appears to have been carried out by a suicide bomber. For our NewsCast unit, NPR’s Peter Kenyon reports that, while no one has immediately claimed responsibility, authorities believe it to be the work of one group in particular.

Peter explains:

“Turkish media quoted officials as saying it appeared to be an attack by the Islamic State. U.S.-backed Syrian rebel groups have been seizing territory from ISIS near the Turkish border recently.

“Turkish security forces have also been rounding up suspected ISIS supporters in several parts of Turkey, including Gaziantep.”

The Associated Press notes that in a television interview, Simsek called it a “barbaric attack.” He continued: “All terror groups, the PKK, Daesh, the (Gulen movement) are targeting Turkey. But God willing, we will overcome.”

ISIS, which is also known as Daesh, has not been the only source of violence in Turkey recently. The PKK, the Kurdistan Workers Party, has also been targeting police and military facilities in Turkey. As Peter reports, “The PKK resumed its long-running conflict against the Turkish military in July 2015, after more than two years of reconciliation talks broke down.”

Turkish authorities search outside a damaged building after an explosion in Elazig, eastern Turkey, on Thursday. Two car bombings targeted police stations in Turkey, killing a number of people and wounding hundreds, officials said.

And Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has detained more than 40,000 people and arrested more than 20,000 since a coup attempt failed to oust him from power last month. Erdogan blames the attempt on Fetullah Gulen, a Pennsylvania-based cleric who has denied any involvement.

Detained Turkish soldiers who allegedly took part in a military coup arrive with their hands bound behind their backs at the Istanbul Justice Palace on July 20, 2016, following the failed military coup attempt of July 15.

For now, though, Turkish officials are forcefully denouncing Saturday’s violence.

“We wish God’s mercy for those who have lost their lives in this cruel attack, and for the injured, a quick recovery,” the Gaziantep governor’s office said in its statement, according to Reuters. “We strongly condemn this cruel terror attack and those carrying it out.”

Article source: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/08/20/490779707/turkish-officials-say-at-least-22-killed-94-injured-in-wedding-bombing?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=news

0
  Related Posts